Current status: Ph.D. Student at Idiap/EPFL, Switzerland, working@home, on Roxanne EU Project. Freelance instructor on the side.
Welcome to my blog. My name is Maël and I’m a Data Scientist and Ph.D. student at Idiap research institute (EPFL) in Speech Processing, on ROXANNE European Project.
Outside of Data Science, my interests are:
- Traveling: I have been traveling to South East Asia, New Zealand, Tahiti and Chile with my girlfriend for the past 4 months. I have posted pictures of the trip in the Travel section.
- Sports: Hiking in Switzerland, running on the beach in Britanny, practicing Fitness/Crossfit. I used to play volleyball and have been Swiss national champion in Junior. I also used to (and still do sometimes) practice javelin. I won several times the Javelin Championship in Rhône-Alpes region in Junior (± 50 meters).
- Animals: I have been vegetarian for close to 4 years, love animals and support several associations.
- Reading/Learning: I spend most of my free time trying to learn stuffs. I try to do 1 online course per month, although I don’t always manage to do so.
- Entrepreneurship: I launched a first startup project during my Master and got some money from an entrepreneurial contest in Lausanne. I was invited at the 2018 final of this contest to share my experience on stage. I won a hackathon in 2019, but did not convert it to a proper project.
I have a B.Sc. in Economics and an M.Sc. in Actuarial Science both from the University of Lausanne (HEC Faculty). I don’t expect many people to know what actuarial science is, but to keep it short, it’s mostly applied mathematics and statistics for the insurance sector. I worked for 6 months in an insurance company, developed a large interest in Machine Learning and programming, and joined Telecom Paris (Institut Polytechnique de Paris, France) for a Specialized Master in Data Science. I finished this degree in 2019. I am now a Ph.D. student in Speech Processing at Idiap Research Institute, since March 2020, and attached to EPFL.
I did an internship as a Data Scientist at Anasen, a Y-Combinator startup in Paris. I previously interned at Veamly in NLP. Outside of that, I’m a Machine Learning instructor at VivaData, an AI Bootcamp in Paris, Stat4Decision and Dakar Insitute of Technology. I also write articles about AI for Digital Minds, Explorium, Stat4Decision and on Medium. My technical interests are:
- Applied Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Statistics in general
- Natural Language Processing
- Speech Processing
- A bit of data engineering, since I’d like my next professional experience to be as a Machine Learning Engineering
I started this blog in September 2018 for several reasons:
- Writing helps me understand. Pictures and schemas too. I am trying to combine both in my articles.
- I did most of my studies in English, although it’s not my native language. This blog is a way to keep writing.
- Data Science is moving fast. Reading about AI-related news could be a full-time job. I learn best by doing projects. So I post most of them here.
- I forget stuff, so it’s always good to have them written down in a single place.
- If this blog can help someone else, this really makes my day.
You can find here a list of all the articles I have written. You will find content related to my fields of interest :
- Statistics and Machine Learning
- Deep Learning
- Reinforcement Learning
- Data Engineering
- Signal Processing
- Natural Language Processing
- Computer Vision
- Several Projects
If you have some time ahead of you, I was recently interviewed an shared my background, my experience as a young graduate, thoughts and projects…
All codes and exercises of this website are hosted on GitHub in a dedicated repository:
You can contact me if you think we could work together on an article or a project, or if you have any question/remark. If you would like to get to know more about me and my projects, feel free to check out my resume. I’m uploading articles that I’m writing in my free time. I’m trying to upload one article per week on average.
I recently launched a newsletter in which I gather some articles I wrote on a topic, interesting Github repositories, projects, papers and more! If you want to stay in the loop, I’ll try to send 1 email per month :)
The video displayed above was shot in Tasmania, in the Wineglass Bay. The countryside is truly stunning out there.
This website gathered a little more than 80’000 visitors since its creation (Oct. 2018). Where do other visitors come from?
This website is adapted from Minimal Mistakes theme for Jekyll. I have essentially modified some layout elements, the video layer, the pulsing arrow in the home page and some widgets. If you would like to use it for your own blog, feel free to fork the repository.